The Award was endowed in 1981 from a Centennial Fund to perpetuate the memory of D Afan Thomas (1881-1928), Musician, Composer and Founder of the Afan Glee Society in Cwmavon, Port Talbot. The purpose of the award is to give financial assistance to a promising student of music to develop his/her musical education by further study or tuition on a full-time or part-time basis at an institution recognised by UWRET.
- The award is open to candidates who are at least eighteen years of age who were born in or have been resident for at least ten years in one of the following geographical areas in the order of preference shown:
a) The Borough of Afan.
b) The County of West Glamorgan other than the Borough of Afan.
c) Any other part of Wales.
- The Scholarship is currently up to the value of £1,500, subject to available funds
- In the case of two equally deserving candidates from the Borough of Afan then the Award shall be shared.
- The scholarship shall be tenable for a period of one year in the first instance, but may be renewed for one or two further years, proportionate and subject to available funds
- In any composition published under these Regulations it shall be clearly stated that such a publication was assisted by a grant from the D Afan Thomas Memorial Award
You Are From
Location of Study